Sunday 24 March 2013

A Song for Sunday: The Damned - Grimly Fiendish

Due to my not feeling very well this weekend, the hubby has decided to stand in for me for this week's A Song for Sunday post. 

I told him it was his chance to prove that he has better taste in music than I do. Let's see how he does...

 

I picked The Damned's "Grimly Fiendish" out of nostalgia. This song was me.

It was the first Gothic single I bought, having seen The Damned a year earlier on The Young Ones. I loved the image, always loved the vampire look and I literally became Grimly Fiendish in my appearance - so much so that twenty years on my internet identity is still a line from the song: Simply Fiendish.

I liked the video because Dave Vanian was everything I aspired to be in his looks. As for the song... who doesn't like a harpsichord? But, if you listen to the lyrics, 'Grimly Fiendish wore a coat that's black and long./He didn't know that it's all wrong.' And that kind of sums me up: 'a child brought in a grown-up's world.'

1 comment:

  1. Jay,

    Isn't it amazing how a single song can redefine how we see the world? Thanks for sharing The Damned's song.

    Jessica

    P.S. I hope you feel better Wondra.

    ReplyDelete