Friday 5 April 2013

Crafts and Crafting: Crochet Monkey Hats

A friend's little boy turned one recently and I wanted to craft him something fun. Since he likes monkeys, I thought I'd have a go at making this monkey hat that I found on Pinterest. I encountered a couple of small problems: 1. I have zero experience with children and have a hard time judging what size they ought to be and 2. even though I paid careful attention to the gauge, it didn't come out the right size. So when I finished with the 6-12 mo. pattern, it looked like it would fit a newborn. The toddler looked like it would fit a 6-month-old.

And aren't kids suppose to have bomby heads at that age, anyway?

The pattern itself is easy and fun. Figuring out which one to send? Not so much. So I sent two: one that I thought would be a little small (or quickly become too small) and one to grow in to. Turns out the one that I sent to "grow in to" almost fit his dad! This whole child thing remains a mystery to me.

(And no, I didn't do a swatch - which may have fixed the whole problem with the sizes being off. I've already gotten a lecture from @drewhilda on that one.)


(Also... I may have to make one of these for ME!)

2 comments:

  1. The hat turned out super cute!

    Swatching sounds good in practice, but I'm much better at winging it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only anti-swatcher. There's something to be said for winging it!

      Delete