Friday 14 March 2014

The Curse Workers, Holly Black

Since I just finished a readalong of Holly Black's Black Heart with Jessica of a Shimmering Star, I thought I would have a little look back at the series...


White Cat (Book 1)
Excellent. Slightly predictable in parts but not in a “I’ve read this plot so many times I know exactly what’s going to happen” way, just an author that’s good at foreshadowing. It’s cleverly written with descriptions that really tickle your imagination. By giving readers just what they need to know, rather than forcing history down their throats, Black creates an alternative reality that is so casual that it feels real. The ending wraps things up nicely but leaves you craving more.

Red Glove (Book 2)
A good follow up to White Cat. The characters remain consistent and there are some nice surprises. It's fairly obvious where the plot's going but I enjoyed Cassel's thought processes as he got there.

Black Heart (Book 3)
The thing that I love about Holly Black is that all of her writing is so different. Okay... that's just ONE of the things I love about Holly Black. I also love her ability to create worlds that are so believable that I still feel a little naughty, walking out of the house without any gloves on. Did I mention that she's a master of foreshadowing? She guides you so subtly to the conclusion that you kind of always knew it would happen exactly that way - but still feel like doing a little fist pump at the end. Brilliant work by one of my favourite authors.

I highly recommend this series. It's a little spy thriller, a little love story, a little coming of age, and totally worth it.

If you've read this series, please share your thoughts and recommend similar books, if you know any!

No comments:

Post a Comment