Friday 23 August 2013

Something Wicked This Way Comes, Ray Bradbury

Last week, as the Autumn chill settled in, I picked up my first Ray Bradbury novel, Something Wicked This Way Comes - and quickly fell in love.

If I had known how utterly breathtaking Bradbury's writing was, I wouldn't have wasted the last thirty years not being his biggest fan. The first page of this book had me hooked and kept me there, writhing in deliscious agony, right to the very end.

His descriptions are amazing - I love the way he plays with the senses. Songs are felt and emotions are tasted. Nothing is just what it is, it's everything that it is. Amazing.

This book is a perfect read for Autumn because it is, first and foremost, a horror story but also because it explores the concept of our "autumn years." That being said, it took me a little while to realize that it was just as much about Will's dad as it was Will and Jim.

If you haven't already, you need to read this book. Like, now.

“God, how we get our fingers in each other's clay. That's friendship, each playing the potter to see what shapes we can make of each other.” 

Reading this reminded me of a music video I came across a good while back. It might amuse you, if you're a Bradbury fan: (NSFW, by the way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment